Saturday, June 8, 2013

Another Snail Mail Letter from June 3 (3 Junio 2013)

Hey Family,
Sorry about the lack of email (last Monday's email) today!  But I did send pictures and with me in all of them!  What do you think of my hair by the way!??!!  :)  Anyway, I need to work on the balance of sending pictures and sending email.  Plus we were 20 minutes late to email and we held someone up and I'm so we hurried so as not to take advantage of other people's kindness.  It was awkward so we left after 10 minutes. Sorry about that.

Anyway, to the good stuff!!!  Here's my "list" of what to tell y'all.  Here's my own personal progress report....Sister Porter thinks it is cool that I do dishes and empty trash without being asked.  What?  People don't do that?!  I guess I did learn something in my 19 years of being at home.  Maybe a thing or two......  :)

For Pday, we played ultimate frisbee and volleyball today.  I was pretty......uh..alright at ultimate and better at volleyball than I was last week.  It was fun and my district is a lot of fun!

So, EXCHANGES!  (mom note...an exchange is a time where she goes out with another missionary and her companion goes out with that persons companion, hence the name exchange)  I was with Hermana Palafox.  The highlights:  I shared a short testimony in español for the FIRST time in the field.  :)  It was only three sentences about the Restoration.  

Sick Days.....Hermana Porter was so sick on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Poor lady!  We went to one hour of sacrament.  It was a mix between a cold and flu and here is how great she is.  She was so sick and yet she was so worried about me because we weren't able to go out and work.  I didn't mind cause I just wanted her to get better.  I just read a lot and slept here and there and cleaned the bathroom and did my laundry.  For the bathroom...it was another thing I learned. Yaaay mom and dad!


By the way, what were some of Rick's areas?  I have a determination to find someone that knew him.  How cool would that be for someone to meet the niece of Elder Rubow?  

Some things I've been studying: .....Jesus the Christ is my new favorite book, well besides the Book of Mormon.  (I know, I know...that sounds like a missionary answer!  ha ha)  It's all just really good.  So, I also ran across 2 Nephi 9:39.  S.M.I.L.E.  Spiritually minded is life eternal  :)

Exodus 4:10-12  Heavenly Father will help us with our inadequacies, especially if we feel called to do something. I've really enjoyed reading about Moses in Exodus.  Good stuff.  

Another thing I think about a lot is the Atonement.  I have since I went to the MTC.  There's just so much that goes with it. The more I think about it, the more I appreciate it. Especially when you think of ALL the ways that people suffer and ALL the hard things people face in life.  (Ways that I never knew existed, in a way) And then when I think that the Savior suffered all those things, small and great, for every person that ever existed  and ever will exist, one person at a time just humbles me.  

Testimony meeting was pretty awesome.  It was Fast Sunday and of course our ward is half Spanish and half English so it was neat to hear the testimonies of the Spanish speakers.  I got bits and pieces of it, but you could feel their testimonies.  It was way cool! 

Hermana Porter is just the greatest! (mom note:  this is Hannah's companion and trainer)  She's incredible!  She loves everyone and she takes care of their needs before her own.  Every day is fantastic with her.  Some times we have slow days and she ALWAYS makes the best of everything.  She just ROCKS!  

I LOVE my hair cut.  It's not as hot, though in 108 degree weather, you can't really tell!  :)

What I've decided makes me happiest as a missionary.....one is an awesome companion.  That just makes it so much easier.  We get along and we NEVER have any issues or problems with each other.  And the chance to have time to personally study and learn the scriptures is just awesome.  And I love seeing people change and want something different for their lives.  Really, it's all just really great. I just love it.

One funny thing this week is that I dreamt that I could count to 100 in Spanish.  Weird, I know, but it made me laugh.  I'm also still slightly sarcastic.  You can take the girl out of the Rubow household, but you can't the Rubow household out of the girl.  :)  

I've gotten to know my district in Bakersfield a lot better.  Here's my district:  Elder F. and Elder L.  They are the district leaders and zone leaders and both are nice guys.  Elder F. is a ginger!  

Elder T and Elder I are both from Tonga.  They are super nice guys. You want to be on Elder I's team when ya play volleyball because he hits that volleyball really hard.  He's a rugby player and when we played frisbee, he'd always make this teeth sucking sound to let you know he was open so you could pass the frisbee to him.  That was very helpful!  :)

Elder C and Elder B.  Elder C is from Utah and Elder B was with me in the MTC.  They are great missionaries too.

Sister E and Sister J are great.  Sister J is soooo funny.  

Sister B. is from the Philippines and Sister A. also live in our apartment. Sister A. went to SVU and she's new on her mission like me.

For exercise, we practice volleyball and it is so fun.  We have a sand volleyball court in our apartment complex.  It's great. We also have two pools, which is kinda like torture for me.  No swimming for me! 

Thanks for the letters.  It's great.  You could write a whole letter about watching paint dry and I'd still love it!  I mean, I'd think that it was a little weird that you watched paint dry and I'd wonder where you got time to do that, but I'd still love it!  :)  I find that I don't get too homesick because we are too busy to be homesick.  Plus, you just don't seem that far away, in distance or time.  These past two months have gone by SOOOO fast so my mission seems like it will go by very fast.

I think I'll most likely stay in Bakersfield, but ya never know.  I honestly think I'd be devastated to leave Bakersfield. I really love it here.  The ward I serve in is great and my companion is fantastic.  But I suppose it is not really up to me, so I'll serve where I am needed.

So....these are my random thoughts which I thought you might find interesting. Watch out..they are really random!
I sometimes get a tad chilly in 70 degree weather, but I really enjoy 70 degree weather!
I have developed a love for neopolitan oreos...although I don't get them often cause I'm trying to eat healthy.
I eat vegetables and fruit every day.
I  FLOSS every day.  Dr. Cherry would be proud.
I got to drive for exchanges and on Sunday to and from church.  I've found that what they say about California drivers is pretty much true, so driving is pretty stressful here.  

Love y'all!  
Love,
Hermana Rubow



No comments:

Post a Comment