Friday, June 7, 2013

May 31st Snail Mail Letter

Hola,
So...I'm studying all sorts of things.  I read a chapter from the Book of Mormon, the Bible, and a few pages from the missionary library.  I started Jesus the Christ this week and I've also started from the beginning re-reading the Book of Mormon and Bible.  I also am carefully studying in Preach My Gospel, Christlike Attributes.  Depending on the lessons we teach our investigators, I might go over those lessons in Preach My Gospel.  One day when I was studying, I came across Acts 17:27-29.  I really like that scripture and I really like 1 Nephi 21:14-16.

My biggest challenge right now is Spanish.  Being in an English Speaking and Spanish Speaking congregation doesn't give me nearly as many opportunities to talk/listen in Spanish, so it is hard.

So...one funny story--we played volleyball in a park with our district!  That was so much fun!!  The district all got to see how really terrible at sports I am.  Of course, I joked about my terrible athletic ability and told everyone that I like to swim.  If I could swim on a mission, I'd show them my mad skills.  Elder T., who is Polynesian, would tell me "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!"  That was so funny!  And then they would all tease me and say that if I'd hit the ball, it is like swimming, but I disagree.  It's really not because when you swim, you don't have volleyballs being thrown at you!  :)  ha ha  BUT...I did try to play and Hermana Porter, who likes volleyball, is going to teach me for gym time because we have a sand volleyball court in our apartment complex.

Remember how I told you that Hermana Porter and I like to talk in British accents?  Well, we give each other "curses" in our accents.  She curses me with weird dreams and I curse her with ti-wi (the box that tells you you're driving too fast "check your speed" and that you're aggressive "aggressive driving").  It is sooo fun!!!  We just laugh so much and we are so happy as companions!  She doesn't park in the lines all the time (Cali has rubbed off on her) and one day she asked if she was in the lines and in my accent I told her "I'm not telling you!" And that is how the curses began.  Everyday is really great with her!  She's just fantastic!

Oh, one day, we were door knocking and we met an old woman named Jo and she was not particularly friendly.  She says, "We older people in this neighborhood are set in our ways and we have people coming 2-3 times per week trying to convert us and we all feel very harassed.  You are wasting your time with us and you should try another neighborhood with young people in the newer developments."  It is just one of those types of experiences you have a missionary.  You learn to live with rejection.

Oh, today, I got a mustache straw, which you saw in my pictures.  It's just awesome.  

Hope things are great in NC.  Love Y'all.
Love,
Hermana Rubow

(She drew us a picture which had her in California with a stick girl figure that said "nametag" and then us in NC and then Johnny in Russia.  She had someone in a big fur hat and big fur boots and captioned it Fur Hat and "boots with the fur".  (mom note...she is just not right.)


No comments:

Post a Comment