Hey Family,
So much to say that I didn't write in my email to you! My companion is great! I like everything about Sister Porter!! We have so much fun every day! Similarities between me and Sister Porter--we love to have fun! We love being missionaries. Differences: She's from Utah where 98% of the people are Mormons. In some ways, my life experiences being around so many different types of people make me mature in other ways....for instance....one day there was a card on our car for an advertisement to buy drugs. I knew the drug references (Thank you DPS!). I don't think I would have known that had I not grown up in the town where I grew up. Anyway....I will have to show this card to you when I get back because I taped it in my journal. It was definitely a weird life experience. Other differences between me and Sister Porter: She loves to sing and she loves sports and you know how bad I am at both of those! I can see me and Sister Porter being good friends for a long, long time. She's sooo great!
It's not terribly weird being the youngest in our apartment because Sister Allred is 20, but people seem to love finding out that I'm one of the 19 year old sister missionaries. They go "awwwwww" like I'm a puppy! :) Oh random thought....tell Sister Rich that I bought a can of "jumex"!
Dinner appointments are pretty cool. We go to the appointments with all four of us (two sisters and two elders) unless the family can't feed four people or if they can't work it out to have both a male and a female there the whole time. So, if we eat at a single lady's house (put your hands up...hahaha Beyonce), then it would be just us. The missionaries will often bring a Priest age guy with them to our appointments. His name is Danilo.
We've had one district meeting so far. We were going to have another, but the day before, we had zone conference. At zone conference, Elder Robbins came to speak. It was really good. I look forward to having some district meetings, as I've not really had the chance to get to know my district yet.
Oh...I am drinking plenty of water. One day, I left my water bottle in the car and it was 108 degrees. I took a sip of hot water.....it was so gross. I know, I know...first world problems! :)
Sister Porter is the driver of our companionship. They assign a driver and that person drives the whole transfer. That is just fine by me because I haven't driven in eight weeks. Weird!!!! I am the missionary that gets to stand outside the car and back her up (mom note: missionaries are required to have their partner stand outside the car and direct the driver when the driver is in reverse) It is soooo awkward! I look forward to the day when I don't have to ever do that again. OH...and in all missionary cars, there's a box called a tee-wee that tells you to slow down and it tells you when you do things wrong (like aggressive driving if you have to stop suddenly. It's helpful and annoying I guess.
We're still getting to know the families in our area, but there are some pretty awesome, amazing people!!! They all just love us!! I really like Sister K. She reminds me of y'all. She sends leftovers home with the missionaries when she feeds us. She's a really, really, really nice lady. And then Sister H. She's less active and we saw her this past week. She just gives the best hugs! (mom note: funny to hear her say this...Hannah hasn't always been a hugger...she's always liked her personal space.) Sister L. is also so nice. We had dinner with her this week. She took us all out to eat. She's super great!
So.....what I'm studying:
In 1 Nephi 7:17-18, Nephi prays to have the strength to burst the bands, but instead Heavenly Father loosens them. What I got from this, is that it is a much greater miracle that Heavenly Father loosened the bands rather than just giving him the strength. Cool, huh? Heavenly Father could have easily given Nephi the strength, but he went ahead and loosened them. It shows me that Heavenly Father answers our prayers in the ways that are best for us, not always the way we ask.
In the book, "Our Heritage", I read that on October 6.... long ago, Brigham Young decided to send more missionaries to foreign missions. I thought this was interesting because that was the same date...October 6, 2012 that the age change was announced. Isn't that cool? It's been really cool to read about our heritage and to read about the pioneers and the early members of the church and what they went through.
A scripture that I came across this week that I really like is Acts 17:27-29. 27
That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: For in him we alive, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.
My favorite hymns at the moment are: Nearer My God To Thee, If You Could Hie to Kolob, Be Still My Soul, and there is one that is not a hymn in our current hymn book, but it should be! I love the song Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing". Did you ever think I'd have a favorite hymn, much less three or four!!!! I like listening to the songs, but I'm still not crazy about singing. Oh well!! :)
Oh and today I was at Walgreens and I got a Bakersfield shirt! I thought it was cool. Plus it was blue, which was nice, because most of my tshirts are black. I'm excited to have a colored shirt for exercising.
I think I told you last time that we met a guy named Street last week. We met him on the sidewalk. NO...that is not the name of one of his relatives! hahaha Sometimes I make myself laugh so hard! :)
One day, we met a man named William. He's pretty old...80's to 90's and he's caring for his wife who has Alzheimer's. He was super nice.
AND ONE DAY THIS WEEK WE HAD BBQ SANDWICHES! YUM!! That deserved big letters!!! Yaaay! Southern food! I haven't had that in weeks! I miss it dearly!
Today, we cleaned our apartment and did laundry and took out garbage and that kind of stuff. I cleaned the bathroom and cleaned the toilet too. Tell Dan I miss him, because he was always the toilet cleaner! :)
Oh and I still say y'all. Every.single.day. :)
Love y'all.
Love,
Hermana Rubow
So much to say that I didn't write in my email to you! My companion is great! I like everything about Sister Porter!! We have so much fun every day! Similarities between me and Sister Porter--we love to have fun! We love being missionaries. Differences: She's from Utah where 98% of the people are Mormons. In some ways, my life experiences being around so many different types of people make me mature in other ways....for instance....one day there was a card on our car for an advertisement to buy drugs. I knew the drug references (Thank you DPS!). I don't think I would have known that had I not grown up in the town where I grew up. Anyway....I will have to show this card to you when I get back because I taped it in my journal. It was definitely a weird life experience. Other differences between me and Sister Porter: She loves to sing and she loves sports and you know how bad I am at both of those! I can see me and Sister Porter being good friends for a long, long time. She's sooo great!
It's not terribly weird being the youngest in our apartment because Sister Allred is 20, but people seem to love finding out that I'm one of the 19 year old sister missionaries. They go "awwwwww" like I'm a puppy! :) Oh random thought....tell Sister Rich that I bought a can of "jumex"!
Dinner appointments are pretty cool. We go to the appointments with all four of us (two sisters and two elders) unless the family can't feed four people or if they can't work it out to have both a male and a female there the whole time. So, if we eat at a single lady's house (put your hands up...hahaha Beyonce), then it would be just us. The missionaries will often bring a Priest age guy with them to our appointments. His name is Danilo.
We've had one district meeting so far. We were going to have another, but the day before, we had zone conference. At zone conference, Elder Robbins came to speak. It was really good. I look forward to having some district meetings, as I've not really had the chance to get to know my district yet.
Oh...I am drinking plenty of water. One day, I left my water bottle in the car and it was 108 degrees. I took a sip of hot water.....it was so gross. I know, I know...first world problems! :)
Sister Porter is the driver of our companionship. They assign a driver and that person drives the whole transfer. That is just fine by me because I haven't driven in eight weeks. Weird!!!! I am the missionary that gets to stand outside the car and back her up (mom note: missionaries are required to have their partner stand outside the car and direct the driver when the driver is in reverse) It is soooo awkward! I look forward to the day when I don't have to ever do that again. OH...and in all missionary cars, there's a box called a tee-wee that tells you to slow down and it tells you when you do things wrong (like aggressive driving if you have to stop suddenly. It's helpful and annoying I guess.
We're still getting to know the families in our area, but there are some pretty awesome, amazing people!!! They all just love us!! I really like Sister K. She reminds me of y'all. She sends leftovers home with the missionaries when she feeds us. She's a really, really, really nice lady. And then Sister H. She's less active and we saw her this past week. She just gives the best hugs! (mom note: funny to hear her say this...Hannah hasn't always been a hugger...she's always liked her personal space.) Sister L. is also so nice. We had dinner with her this week. She took us all out to eat. She's super great!
So.....what I'm studying:
In 1 Nephi 7:17-18, Nephi prays to have the strength to burst the bands, but instead Heavenly Father loosens them. What I got from this, is that it is a much greater miracle that Heavenly Father loosened the bands rather than just giving him the strength. Cool, huh? Heavenly Father could have easily given Nephi the strength, but he went ahead and loosened them. It shows me that Heavenly Father answers our prayers in the ways that are best for us, not always the way we ask.
In the book, "Our Heritage", I read that on October 6.... long ago, Brigham Young decided to send more missionaries to foreign missions. I thought this was interesting because that was the same date...October 6, 2012 that the age change was announced. Isn't that cool? It's been really cool to read about our heritage and to read about the pioneers and the early members of the church and what they went through.
A scripture that I came across this week that I really like is Acts 17:27-29. 27
That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: For in him we alive, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.
My favorite hymns at the moment are: Nearer My God To Thee, If You Could Hie to Kolob, Be Still My Soul, and there is one that is not a hymn in our current hymn book, but it should be! I love the song Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing". Did you ever think I'd have a favorite hymn, much less three or four!!!! I like listening to the songs, but I'm still not crazy about singing. Oh well!! :)
Oh and today I was at Walgreens and I got a Bakersfield shirt! I thought it was cool. Plus it was blue, which was nice, because most of my tshirts are black. I'm excited to have a colored shirt for exercising.
I think I told you last time that we met a guy named Street last week. We met him on the sidewalk. NO...that is not the name of one of his relatives! hahaha Sometimes I make myself laugh so hard! :)
One day, we met a man named William. He's pretty old...80's to 90's and he's caring for his wife who has Alzheimer's. He was super nice.
AND ONE DAY THIS WEEK WE HAD BBQ SANDWICHES! YUM!! That deserved big letters!!! Yaaay! Southern food! I haven't had that in weeks! I miss it dearly!
Today, we cleaned our apartment and did laundry and took out garbage and that kind of stuff. I cleaned the bathroom and cleaned the toilet too. Tell Dan I miss him, because he was always the toilet cleaner! :)
Oh and I still say y'all. Every.single.day. :)
Love y'all.
Love,
Hermana Rubow
No comments:
Post a Comment