Hey Family,
So sorry about the email thing this morning! I had so many pictures to send of me and my district! So I don't know what to do about sending them. I think what I'll do is print pictures at Walgreens or something and send those home. But I was able to print your email, so yaaay!
I got an email from Johnny! He said his trainee recognized me from the MTC. Cool! I've recognized the Russian nametags, so I asked where they were going while in the MTc. I don't remember if I met anyone going to Novo.
Bakersfield 2nd Ward is a really great ward! They're all excited to have sisters! Also sacrament meeting is very interesting because it is a Spanish and English speaking ward (predominately English though). They have a translator so that people that speak Spanish wear a headset during sacrament and a person that knows Spanish and English talks into a microphone that the people can hear in the headset. Cool huh? I also gave the closing prayer my first Sunday in the ward. That's my first time giving a prayer in sacrament meeting ever! The Bishop asked us to give the prayers and we are giving a talk the last Sunday of this month. I think it is cool that he wants to involve us in the ward. Oh, and I'll give the talk in English.
Sisters in our apartment are just great! Hermana Bailiar is from the Philippines and she's been out in eight months. Hermana Allred is the girl that stayed with the Laws family my first night in Cali. She's from New York. She's new too. They're both English speaking and I'm the youngest of everyone!
To "whitewash" an area means that my companion and I are both new to the area. The elders in the area before us left really good notes and we use the area book to help. The hermanas in my MTC district would probably freak out to be "whitewashing" so I'm sure there is a good reason why I am here. I just seem to go with the flow.
My interview with President Castro was just a "get to know you" and then he asked me to say a closing prayer in Espanol. He said my pronunciation is good! And I did tell him about my PE's just so he's aware. I did get to meet Sister Castro also. She's really nice!!! :) I'm assuming my mission will now be in Bakersfield so I'm sad to not have them as my Mission President and wife. But I'm okay with wherever I go, since I don't know them that well.
Things to send: I think I'm good here. Short sleeve shirts in any color are great. And we enjoy the CDs!!!! And any situation you can never go wrong with chocolate chip cookies. hahahaha :) And letters always make things better! I don't know why completely, but they kinda help in a lot of good ways!
The Spanish is not too frustrating. I wish I could speak it better and I wish I had more opportunities in lessons to speak it. So far all of our lessons have been in English but esta bien. I feel calm about Spanish because I feel like I can learn it.
I kinda had a feeling that I'd be in Bakersfield. It wasn't shocking to me. I would love to be in Ventura...hello beach, even just looking at it!! But that's not why I'm here. I can always come back and visit the beach, but I can't come back and be a missionary the same way I am now. Plus it is not about me and where I want to be. I am SOOOO happy! I love it here! There's nothing else I'd rather be doing!
For companionship study, we have to....oh man, you're going to die when you hear this! So I'm going to write it on the next note because it is going to be...legen...wait for it...start of the next note...DAIRY! Hahahaha! See what I did there? Okay...so hold on to your socks because they are about to be knocked off. Or just take them off if you want. We HAVE to sing as a companionships. ME...Sing.....oh heavens. I feel SUPER awkward with it. I haven't even brought it up that I don't like to sing because that will make it even more awkward. But it is all good. ME singing......hahahaha
One awesome, fun thing we do is when we read from the handbook, at the beginning of companionship study, we talk in accents. It's a lot of fun. I've done the "smoker" voice, the super Southerner, a whale (you know in Finding Nemo like Dori), British, Australian, Southern lisp, and "is this the bus I get on" voice. We tried to do chewbaca, but that's kinda hard. Hahahahaha
Oh, one thing I really need is a good shampoo and conditioner. I feel like I'm losing my hair! What the what?!!
Oh, and for Mother's Day, our RS in Bakersfield got mini cheesecakes (made in cupcake pans) and chocolate covered strawberries. Yummmmm!!! Mmmmm!
Oh and there's a guy from our zone from NC! (Near Fayetteville) and he knows about Durham.
Oh, and one last thing....I wanted to say thank you to both you and Dad for ALWAYS putting Johnny, Dan, and I first. I always appreciated it, but I've really come to appreciate it so much more. Thank you for all you've done for us and for making sure we were taken care of before yourself. It really means a lot and I hope I can be a parent like that and be as good of parents as you are. I bet you are crying now too. (hahaha....that's okay...) :)
I love you Mom and Dad (and Dan too)
Love Hermana Rubow
So sorry about the email thing this morning! I had so many pictures to send of me and my district! So I don't know what to do about sending them. I think what I'll do is print pictures at Walgreens or something and send those home. But I was able to print your email, so yaaay!
I got an email from Johnny! He said his trainee recognized me from the MTC. Cool! I've recognized the Russian nametags, so I asked where they were going while in the MTc. I don't remember if I met anyone going to Novo.
Bakersfield 2nd Ward is a really great ward! They're all excited to have sisters! Also sacrament meeting is very interesting because it is a Spanish and English speaking ward (predominately English though). They have a translator so that people that speak Spanish wear a headset during sacrament and a person that knows Spanish and English talks into a microphone that the people can hear in the headset. Cool huh? I also gave the closing prayer my first Sunday in the ward. That's my first time giving a prayer in sacrament meeting ever! The Bishop asked us to give the prayers and we are giving a talk the last Sunday of this month. I think it is cool that he wants to involve us in the ward. Oh, and I'll give the talk in English.
Sisters in our apartment are just great! Hermana Bailiar is from the Philippines and she's been out in eight months. Hermana Allred is the girl that stayed with the Laws family my first night in Cali. She's from New York. She's new too. They're both English speaking and I'm the youngest of everyone!
To "whitewash" an area means that my companion and I are both new to the area. The elders in the area before us left really good notes and we use the area book to help. The hermanas in my MTC district would probably freak out to be "whitewashing" so I'm sure there is a good reason why I am here. I just seem to go with the flow.
My interview with President Castro was just a "get to know you" and then he asked me to say a closing prayer in Espanol. He said my pronunciation is good! And I did tell him about my PE's just so he's aware. I did get to meet Sister Castro also. She's really nice!!! :) I'm assuming my mission will now be in Bakersfield so I'm sad to not have them as my Mission President and wife. But I'm okay with wherever I go, since I don't know them that well.
Things to send: I think I'm good here. Short sleeve shirts in any color are great. And we enjoy the CDs!!!! And any situation you can never go wrong with chocolate chip cookies. hahahaha :) And letters always make things better! I don't know why completely, but they kinda help in a lot of good ways!
The Spanish is not too frustrating. I wish I could speak it better and I wish I had more opportunities in lessons to speak it. So far all of our lessons have been in English but esta bien. I feel calm about Spanish because I feel like I can learn it.
I kinda had a feeling that I'd be in Bakersfield. It wasn't shocking to me. I would love to be in Ventura...hello beach, even just looking at it!! But that's not why I'm here. I can always come back and visit the beach, but I can't come back and be a missionary the same way I am now. Plus it is not about me and where I want to be. I am SOOOO happy! I love it here! There's nothing else I'd rather be doing!
For companionship study, we have to....oh man, you're going to die when you hear this! So I'm going to write it on the next note because it is going to be...legen...wait for it...start of the next note...DAIRY! Hahahaha! See what I did there? Okay...so hold on to your socks because they are about to be knocked off. Or just take them off if you want. We HAVE to sing as a companionships. ME...Sing.....oh heavens. I feel SUPER awkward with it. I haven't even brought it up that I don't like to sing because that will make it even more awkward. But it is all good. ME singing......hahahaha
One awesome, fun thing we do is when we read from the handbook, at the beginning of companionship study, we talk in accents. It's a lot of fun. I've done the "smoker" voice, the super Southerner, a whale (you know in Finding Nemo like Dori), British, Australian, Southern lisp, and "is this the bus I get on" voice. We tried to do chewbaca, but that's kinda hard. Hahahahaha
Oh, one thing I really need is a good shampoo and conditioner. I feel like I'm losing my hair! What the what?!!
Oh, and for Mother's Day, our RS in Bakersfield got mini cheesecakes (made in cupcake pans) and chocolate covered strawberries. Yummmmm!!! Mmmmm!
Oh and there's a guy from our zone from NC! (Near Fayetteville) and he knows about Durham.
Oh, and one last thing....I wanted to say thank you to both you and Dad for ALWAYS putting Johnny, Dan, and I first. I always appreciated it, but I've really come to appreciate it so much more. Thank you for all you've done for us and for making sure we were taken care of before yourself. It really means a lot and I hope I can be a parent like that and be as good of parents as you are. I bet you are crying now too. (hahaha....that's okay...) :)
I love you Mom and Dad (and Dan too)
Love Hermana Rubow
Sweet letter! What a great missionary and example to us all! You two have every right to be proud, proud parents!
ReplyDelete